Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

944 HP Questions/Answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM

Thanks for all the good info. I replaced the dme relay like you suggested and brought the 944 back from the dead, one problem now, the tach quit working, any idea where I should start looking?

thanks,
figurenine

Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 PM

PorscheDoc, I'm want to purchase my first 944, and I'm looking at two different cars, a 1986 944 and a 1984 944. What I want is a 944 reliable enough to be a daily driver, which I can slowly modify into a track car over an extended period of time. I'm not picky about aesthetics, I just reliability in the drive train, brakes, steering and suspension.
The 1986 944 is stock except for some suspension mods (from 944 turbo), with a stripped interior, no A/C, oh and a diff. from turbo. The owner claims it's been well maintained, but I worry because of a knocking sound from the engine. Doesn't sound like a valve problem, though. Knocking aside, the engine sounds good, idles well, starts up well. The clutch grabbed way late off the floor, at almost full release, but the owner said that was due to a dog-leg clutch pedal. Clutch grabbed well, though, just late.
The 1984 944 has an MSD ignition, cone air filter and upgraded torsion bars. The interior is mostly there. The owner tracked the car a bit. I got to test drive it. Starts up well, idles well. The car pulled well on the road, the brakes didn't fade while driving, but I needed to press very hard to stop hard. Clutch was in good shape. Steering felt heavy, but I associate that with the age.
The 1984 944 is about $600 more expensive than the 1986 944. Which 944 is the better choice do you think (best assessment from the info and years of cars)?
Any opinions are welcome, btw. Cheers

-Apex King

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Well concerning the clutch issue in the 86, IMHO the owner really doesn't know what he is talking about, lol. More than likely the disc is thin and the clutch fork is extremly worn or bent or has a master clutch cylinder that needs to have the adjusting arm moved. Some cars release high even after a new clutch, and can be adjusted some via the arm on the clutch master cylinder.

The early 944's are fun because they are so light. The late 944's are nice because of the interior improvements, rear torsion carrier updated to an aluminum system, plastic fuel tank, etc. The steering issue in the 84 could be because the power steering is low on fluid, pump shot, or maybe he has converted back to a manual steering rack. The cone filter on the 84 should be removed and replaced with the stock air box. The stock airbox is much more efficient at bringing in cold air. The cone filter, while bringing in more overall air, brings in hot air, which doesn't help the hp.

Do either have any maintenance history of clutch repair or timing belt/waterpump being done? Those are 2 expensive issues that are nice to have done already.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM

PorscheDoc, thanks very much for the advice. I have asked for the maintenance info for the clutch and timing belt/water pump on the '84 944. The seller of the '86 944 seems very discouraged by his attempts to sell it, because now he is considering crushing it and selling it for scrap. What is the chassis/body worth alone? Hypothetically, what could I expect to pay for an '86 944 with no interior, very rust-free chassis/body (assume it's straight) but not paint pretty, decent suspension, and a drive-train with some potential problems? If I can snag this '86 944 at a good price, I want to. Cheers.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM

PorscheDoc, I figured I'd let you know the asking prices for each car. The '86 944: $2500. The '84 944: $2850. Cheers.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Apex King
PorscheDoc, thanks very much for the advice. I have asked for the maintenance info for the clutch and timing belt/water pump on the '84 944. The seller of the '86 944 seems very discouraged by his attempts to sell it, because now he is considering crushing it and selling it for scrap. What is the chassis/body worth alone? Hypothetically, what could I expect to pay for an '86 944 with no interior, very rust-free chassis/body (assume it's straight) but not paint pretty, decent suspension, and a drive-train with some potential problems? If I can snag this '86 944 at a good price, I want to. Cheers.

I would offer $1,000 tops on the 86, and maybe $2,000-2,500 on the 84 depending on overall condition. With that being said, I know the cars very well, am in the business so my parts connections are very good, and do all my own work. You can't afford to pay a shop to work on a $1,000 P-car, it will break you financially. I have seen it happen to many of my customers, lol. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. I advise first reading the book "The Gold Plated Porsche" to anyone considering buying a cheap Porsche.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM

PorscheDoc, thanks again. I bought "The Gold-Plated Porsche..." and so far it is has been an encouragement to say the least. The further I read into the book, the more I want a project Porsche ("light" project to start, more serious later). A $70,000 frame off restoration is more than I have in mind; more my speed, something pretty close to the lines of a reliable (not pretty) daily driver to start, and competative track car to finish. Hopefully an '84 944 will fit the bill. I'll try to finish the book before I make up my mind to be on the safe side, but I'm leaning hard towards the 944. Thanks for the insight.

-Cheers

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you are interested in turning an early 944 into a street/DE/track car, check out the NASA SPEC 944 forums. Those guys are building track cars on a pretty tight budget (obviously you don't need a full cage or anything on a street car), but they have some affordable ways to upgrade the suspension, etc.

www.944spec.org They have a forum as well.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Replacement motors for an '84 944's headlights and windshield wipers are expensive. Are there cheaper alternatives? I was thinking of buying cheaper electric motors (somewhat related to the jobs they will perform) that will get the job done after some custom wiring and fab. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Question New 944

I am thinking about buying a 1985 944 is this a good choice i think it is but i would like a second opinion? is there any thing i should know like are parts hard to find anything like that? THANKS

Quick Reply: 944 HP Questions/Answers