Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Power Steering hoses from reservoir leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Default Power Steering hoses from reservoir leak

In the mornings when it is cold the power steering pump is noisy(air in system) and if you remove the cap you can see little tiny bubbles rise to the surface like foam. Not a lot, but a little skim layer. Power steering is quiet after only a few minutes and even when the car sits for several hours it is fine as well. Under the hood is spotless, but I am getting a film above the engine mount. I have searched and this looks like a common problem. What all is involved in fixing this other than taking it to the stealership? Is the solution to remove the hoses and have new hydraulic lines made or is it simply replacing the clamps (with what kind) or maybe replacing the hoses with standard slip on hydro hoses and clamps..... What works long term? I am thinking maybe when cold it sucks a little air when the fluid is thicker and that is why it is fine when warm? Only after driving a mile though it is fine and that would not be enough I would think to warm the fluid enough to change viscosity significantly....

Experience???
Thanks in advance

Old 01-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Power Steering hoses from reservoir leak

You need to narrow down which hose exactly is leaking, or if the pump is leaking, and replace that item. I went in and did everything at once myself, rack, resealed the pump, and made all new lines. That is about the only way you know it won't leak in the future.

Oh and a dealership isn't going to be cheap to do all that. Well over 2 grand if you include the rack.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

You are right, this is a common problem on these cars.[:@]

My 944 had the same problem (leaking, not bubbles) when I brought it. I fixed it by simply removing the hose cutting half a inch off the end then replacing it with a new clip. That was about three years ago and it hasn't leaked yet! But, if you want to be sure that it won't leak again, replacing the hose with a brand new one is proberbly best.

It is best to fix this problem as soon as possible as the fluid can rot the engine mount!
[:'(]

Old 01-27-2006, 05:58 PM

I think the mounts are due anyway. I haven't measured them but they are the originals.....The top radiator hose has MFR 10 4 84 stamped into it! Gonna replace those soon just to be safe. Hoses are pressure fittings at the cooler and the rack and just clamps under the reservoir..... I would imagine the pressure side would be the one leaking. I was just curious because other than cutting and using a new clamp I would have to replace the entire hose and without really digging into it those pressure fittings do not look easy to remove unless there is a fitting that unbolts from the pump or something that the hose is attached to.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

I think the hose is attached to a pipe that screws into either the pump itself or another pipe. The hose and pipe are one unit and cannot be removed from one another. I think you have to take the washer bottle and inner wing liner out to replace this?

I know this info is a bit vague, so I will try and have a look at PET parts C.D. when I get a free moment and post the diagram.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The line that runs along the frame (from the reservoir) to the passenger side headlight where it becomes a metal line is the return line. This line eventually makes it's way all the way to the PS rack. The other line from the reservoir, runs straight to the pump itself.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the input... Is there a check valve or anything in the pump? Reason I ask is that when it is cold it is noisy and I do get very small pin size bubbles in the reservoir when it does this. After a few minutes it is just fine... Somehow I think the pump is getting air into it. The minor hose leak is not even a drip, it just seeps and mists a bit in the area... This car has NO leaks when parked and usually when a PS pump needs to be bled it will be noisy hot or cold...... STRANGE...