Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

some strange problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Default some strange problems

Greetings once again

Ok, so after having a no start issue all winter I have finally given in and my Mechanic helped me sort it out. Turned out that the DME was bad, but so was my brand new replacement one and hence the difficulty. There seems to have also been a problem with some of the ground points which we fized.

So I have 3 strange problems now.

1> there is an intermittent clicking noise that we heard comming from where the Computer is. This noise has since stopped. What could this be, is there any concern here, and is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this if it is a problem.

2> the Cruise control module will make a rapid clicking noise when cranking the car. The noise will go away if you press the clutch. My mechanic seems to think this is a little strange and has never heard a noise liek this before. Any ideas?? We have just unplugged the Cruise control for now.

3> there seems to be a very very slight power drain throught the window winder relay even when the car is off. We just pulled the fuse for that when the car is not in use, but this is a hassle. Any ideas how to track this one down?

Finally some advice... Can anybody comment on the build quality of the Bursch Cat delete tubes? I'm looking to remove the cat and thought this looked like the cheapest and easiest option. Any opinions on this.

Sorry for the long post. Hope you all have some ideas for me..

Cheers
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Default RE: some strange problems

Your first two problems seem to indicate you have not yet found all of the bad grounds. Regarding problem three, I may have an idea for you.

About 20 years ago a good old German mechanic taught me a trick concerning battery drain while we were working on a Datsun 280ZX. This particular car was killing new batteries with excessive drain while the car sat garaged for periods of two weeks. The car didn't get used much because the owner was an overseas traveller.The 280ZXhad a surprising amount of electronics in it, and it was nearly impossible to find the exact cause of the excessive drain. Many mechanics had tried to fix it before we accepted the challenge,but nonewere successful. After tracing circuits for two days we narrowed the drain to a part of the main wiring harness and isolated it. Then, we installed a simple Bosch 4-terminal relay and wired it to provide power to that circuit inthe harness only when the key was in the "on" position. Problem solved, and we made the owner of the Datsun very, very happy.

If you can't track down your window lift gremlin you may wish to put a relay on that circuit as indicated above.