Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Soon to be porsche owner, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Default Soon to be porsche owner, couple of questions

I'll cut right to the chase, I've got the oppertunity to buy a Porsche 944, Either an 82, or 84. Both are in excelent condition/well maintained, with no mechanical troubles, as per a Pre-purchase inspection. I've read plenty of places that the belts need to be adjusted every 2,000km or so? (Am I right about this?) Now, this summer I'm planning on Driving from where I live, New Brunswick, Canada, to Baltimore Maryland, and back. The whole trip is roughly 1900km there-and-back. Basically constant driving the whole time, would this cause any serious problems with the engine, or the belts if they couldn't be serviced during this time? This is going to be my first Porsche, and I've always wanted a 944 as long as I can remember, but I don't want to damage it by over driving it.

I just figured that this would be a great place to ask, also, nice to meet you all! =)

Edit: Reading some of the other posts here, have almost turned me off of getting this car.. I want a car I can drive every day to University, and work, are they really that unreliable? I know this is a Porsche Forum, but the only other choice I've seen for a decent car while I've been looking is a 93 BMW 320i. Would that be a better solution for a daily driver? =\

Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Default RE: Soon to be porsche owner, couple of questions

hi,
i have own an 86 944 for two years and it has been my daily driver for that time. I just finish school and i need to sell to help with all the bills but within the time of owning it i have not have any major problems. so if its in good condition then a drive like that would be fine.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Hey fellow Canadian,
Hate to say it, but I too will cut to the chase. Now that I have 4 months invested into my restoration and research of the early 944, and the pros and conswith respect toinvesting in these little hookers, I'd have to say "you'd have to be crazy to jump into that car and attempt a cross-country run without a full mechanical appraisal." There's nothing like thatspecial feeling you get when you're'up in smoke' at the side of the road a thousand miles from home. Not everyone will have the same experiences I have been blessedwith, but I have invested in a one-owner'84 that was never winter driven, garage stored, driven weekends only, never hit and originalGuards Red/black 5spd. Although pampered by awealthy owner for it's lovingly driven 23 summers, my little car requiredover $3000 inminor overhaul just to get it tothe stage of "dependable grocery-getter' and I still need to replace a few seals, mounts and suspension parts that are normally fatigued by thisage.The car you are about to invest in is a wonderful toy that I am also a fan of... but as inany classic automobile purchase, you must consider the fact that you are about to get into a car that is way more expensive and quite a bit olderthan thegirls thatyou weresweet talkin'at the bar last night. Be careful eh!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Hi Razgriz, I haven't been on the forum in a few days so you may have made your decision by now, but if you are looking for the best advice, youwill bethoroughly informedby reading the recent "newbie" post. Great technicalcomment from Porsche Doc and Big Bob. That's all you really need to know.