Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Default Newbie Question

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to the European automobile scene. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm trying my best to learn! Anyway I just have a few basic questions:

- I live in Michigan in the states. My dad owns an 89 Porsche 944 Turbo, bone stock with only 26,XXX actualmiles on it! It was garage kept and in mint condition. The bodyand paint of the car is superb. The interior is like brand new and even smells like it. When it was driven back then, it was only driven in the summer and garaged in the winter. The carhas not been driven for awhile. The last time it was driven wasabouta year or 2 ago. Knowing this much, how much do you think my dad could get if he were to sell this vehicle? OR would it be better to wait and see if the vehicle may go up in value? Again, I know this is a newbie question and I do see 944s being sold at a few thousand dollars but I tend to see 944s with high mileage. I have not come across a 944 with as low mileage as what my Dad has.

-If I were to keep this vehicle, what type of oil and oil filter does the 944 Turbo take? I looked all over the manual and saw nothing that tells me this information. Again, I live in Michigan. Temperatures range roughlyfrom 10-40 degrees in the winter and 70-90 in the summer. I only use synthetic oil in my vehicles. Also, I do not drive aggressively and prefer more efficiency.

- Are 944s reliable as a daily driver?

- Are 944s easy/hard to maintain?

- Just making sure: 95 RON is equivalent to around 91 octane gasoline here right?

- Let me know your input on 944 Turbos. Like I said, I am new with Euros. I am so use to Japanese vehicles and somewhat know my way around them. I am assuming Porsches are a bit different to mess around with and yet they seem very fun to drive when you know what you're doing! Thanks everyone!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie Question

15w-50 mobil 1 is fine for those temperature ranges. Use only Mahle/Porsche oil filters.

They are reliable as daily drivers if the maintenance has been kept up. With 20k some miles, I doubt many things have been replaced, as the car has probably sat most of it's life. What are the maintenance records like? When was the timing belt and waterpump changed last? A ticking time bomb if the T belt has not been changed recently.

Easy/Hard to maintain? To the average person, most would think the cars are fairly complicated to work on. I am a bit biased because there isn't a part of a 944 I haven't been into, so I don't think they are that bad.

91 octane here in the US is about the equivalent of 95RON IIRC. If you can get 92/93, then use it. (Some states have 93 as their premium, some 91, some 92).

As far as making money off the car selling it, if the car is in excellent condition which I would expect with the miles, and the maintenance records are complete and up to date, you are probably look at 15k-16k if you were to sell it. Will the car's value go through the roof....past value reports indicate this is doubtful, and with everyone thinking the economy is in a recession, people are less likely to pay top dollar at the moment.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the info!

Yes, nothing has been changed/replaced on this vehicle besides oil changes. What do you recommend replacing/maintaining if the vehicle has sat there for most of its life to bring it back to a reliable, daily driver?

Roughly, how much will it cost?

I love to mess with cars, but quite frankly I am just plain hesitant when it comes to new territory. I do not know my way aroundPorsches so do you recommend me taking this to the dealership or other shops for the maintenance? Should most, normalauto shops know how to work on any type of vehicle including Porsches or am I wrong on that?

Sorry for the excessive questions, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM

I also hope that CMilam and Hot911TT can give you some advice on this post. Regards Big Bob

Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Please refer to Big Bob.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: cmilam

Please refer to Big Bob.
OK Hot911TT its all down to youBB

Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 PM

I refer back to the Doc!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, if the timing and balance belt have never been changed, then don't even start the car. You need to TOW it to a shop and have the belts, rollers, and waterpump replaced, as well as checking the front engine seals for leaking. 10 hours of labor, about $600 in parts. Correctly timing the timing belt and balance belt is a fairly complex process, and I wouldn't trust anyone who does not work on 944's to do it.

Once you know that the engine is safe from self destruction, then you need to look at changing the fluids, etc to get the car back to road worthy condition. Closely inspect the tires for signs of dry rotting, and if there are cracks in the rubber, then you need to replace the tires as well. It will not be cheap getting a car back up to par that is 20 years old and has sat most of it's life with little maintenance. I am sure if you started driving it daily, things will start popping up, like coolant hoses that start leaking and need to be replaced, etc. They are very expensive cars to keep on the road if you have to pay someone to do the work. If you can do the work yourself, then they are only slightly painful to the wallet

Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the information everyone! I guess since I don't know my way around 944s, I will have to spend some big cash on restoring this beauty todrivable conditions. This car is beautiful and I don't want to take any chances with this. If there are any other suggestions, it will be most appreciative!