Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Oxygen sensor wiring problem-80SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Default Oxygen sensor wiring problem-80SC

In the engine compartment of my 80SC is the junction and connection for the single black wire from the oxygen sensor to the green wire going to the relay and control unit under the passenger seat. The single wire from the oxygen sensor has a female end in a rubber boot. The green wire passes thru a plastic-like bushing with a metal male end. On my car, when installing a new oxygen sensor the green wire pulled out of the bushing and broke of at the male end connector. The bushing itself crumbled apart. The green wire has center copper strands and a surround of more copper strands outside the insulation sort of like the wires on a TV cable. The green wire was soldered into the male connector. Can I clean out the old solder, strip and insert the green wire and re-solder the male end? Do I need the plastic bushing/insulator? The wiring diagram show the green wire going to two points on the control unit so I guess both the inner and outer copper strands of the green wire should be soldered together into the metal male end. Sure could use some help!!

Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Default RE: Oxygen sensor wiring problem-80SC

Without even seeing it, I'd say don't solder the inner and outer conductors together. It sounds from your description like a shielded signal wire. The outer conductor is probably grounded and by soldering together, you would short the output to ground. Does the plug have an inner and outer conductor? Example would be a cable TV connector or phono plug. If so, the inner should be connected to inner, the outer wire to outer plug. Can you camera-phone it and post a picture or 2?

Old 04-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. The male plug doesn't appear to have the same type of set up as a phono or cable TV plug where the ground/shield is connected to the plug separate from the hot wire. I'm thinking as you suggested that it may be some type of shielding for the wire to the control unit. I'll try to take a photo this evening after work. Sending the photo to this site will be a major undertaking since I'm computer-challenged!!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Finally gave in and ordered the connector from a parts car. When I splice it in I'll connect the primary green wires then put a shrink tube on it, then splice the shielding and shrink cover it. I believe the outer copper wires are a shield grounded at the control unit to protect the O2 circuit from electrical interference. Thanks!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM

"I believe the outer copper wires are a shield grounded at the control unit to protect the O2 circuit from electrical interference."

That is quite likely. Ground shields are often connected at one end only and provide protection in that configuration.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 PM

hello.... another newbie here... I just duno how to post in the new members form that's why i jump to this forum.. well... i'm interested to this topic because i had the same case with this before.... but, in porsche oxygen sensor are mostly working as galvanic cell principles. This sentence taken from the some web site. My question, what is galvanic cell principle I search many more sites but i cannot understand . I want to know propely how its working oxygen sensor at ventilators?[/align]