Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Pending Porsche purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Default Pending Porsche purchase

Good morning all,

Am a newbie to the site andhoped to to get some opinions about a Porschepurchase I am considering. I have not owned a Porsche beforebut am in the market and havethe opportunity to buy a 2007 GT3 or a 2008 Turbo. I know these are very different cars, but wanted to know thoughts/opinions on which to get.

I am familiar withhigh horsepower vehicles (have a couple in the stable now) but wanted one with some of the creature comforts of a daily driver. Ireally liked the test drives I took in both. I will use as a weekend driver forPCA group drives, rallies, and also as an occasional track weekend car (4-6 times per year).

Thanks in advance.

- Ian

Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: Pending Porsche purchase

They are very different cars, considering how similar they look, and ultimately it will come down to what you value. I like the GT3 better, myself, it is much more balanced and light on its toes a bit more "performance car" in some sense, and I think it would be much more rewarding on track days, yet it is more than adequately fast and pwoerful to be a daily driver. It is also a bit rarer (at least I see fewer of them).
The Turbo has more cachet with some auto enthusiasts who value 0-60 and quarter mile times, etc., and itis faster ina straight line, I will concede: but both cars are quite fast, and neither car is meant to be a dragster (and in fact, both will get spanked badly at the drag strip by all manner of hopped-up ten year old Camaros and Mustangs and such owned by 20 year old guys, but these cars handle like pigs inthe curves, so . . ) and thus the difference in HP to to me is irrelevantthere.
On point to consider: there is not much to choose between the performance of the present and older technology GT3 model (415 horses) and the new direct injected S (385 horses that seem to me to each be just a bit bigger), which with the PDK, is pretty damn fast. You could buy one of those and, assuming you might save some money compared to the Gt3 price, buy a set of track tires and wheels, etc., and a small race-tool trailer to haul them with you to track days, for the difference.
Just a thought.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Default RE: Pending Porsche purchase

Thanks again, Lee.Usually takes me a while to make a car decision, but I am leaning more and more towards the GT3. I think it may just suit me better and mightbe the car I would enjoy more atthe track.

- Ian