Notices
Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic... Almost anything goes...

Lightning surge protection for dsl

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Default Lightning surge protection for dsl

I live rurally an an older house and have a problem with my modems getting killed almost every time a bit of lightning goes over. I've mostly been content with just unplugging everything during storms but a few nights ago we had some weather show up suddenly in the middle of the night and after a grand total of only 2 lightning strikes (granted they were right on top of us) I'd lost another dsl modem. I want to find a solution to protect me from this but I'm not sure how to proceed and would appreciate some advice.

I do have my equipment connected to a surge protector at the power point and none of the other devices on that board (including another router) are getting fried so I'm thinking that the surge is coming down the phone line and getting to the modems thru their dsl ports. I've tried connecting the dsl thru the phone connectors on the surge protector but then I can no longer sync. The way I understand it these things aren't designed for dsl anyway and it would destabilize my connection even if I did have one that would sync. Is there some other type of surge protector that would be appropriate?

I have scouted one out at ascent: here. It has a bunch of screw terminals and isn't something I can just plug a cable into so I'm not sure how to install it. The install guide is a bit over my head. I did install my own splitter so maybe I could pull this off if anyone could give me a bit more guidance on it but I'd prefer a more user friendly solution if available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 AM

https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...ing-protection This is what I did to stop my constant lightning fried modems, routers, motherboards etc
Got sick of disconnecting every rumble I heard.
Nothing like completely removing the issue.