Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Buying a 996 Turbo and have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Default Buying a 996 Turbo and have some ?'s

Just wanted to ask if there are any advantages or disadvantages from a 02' to 05'?

Should I go with a TIP or a Manual (What is more reliable and do I have to be a great driver to compete with a TIP?)

Is the X50 really worth it or is it what some people say, to offset lag on the turbo? Could be way off here.

Are there must get options?

Do 19 inch wheels have an effect on handling?

Do you have anything else to add?

Thanks a bunch for your replies!!

Irish

Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Default RE: Buying a 996 Turbo and have some ?'s

One thing I absolutely love about the TIP Porsches is comfort when I was in South FL bumpers to bumpers traffic and when I went to Starbucks in the early morning and I would be drinking my coffee and on the phone. These are a few goods thing with Tip. Performance wise, the faster you do the faster it shifts and you can be SURE that you'd never miss 3rd. or hit the Rev Limiter.

On the other hand, you will always wish you have a 6 speed gear box because the little man on the right shoulder will constantly remind you that it would be more manly. However, the most fun of all fun to me is a 6 speeds Turbo. Especially when the Turbo puts out about 550HP and about 600 FP (mildly modified). Then, on my way back from Starbucks, I just take a zip of your coffee and ignore all the Hemi trucks and the annoying G6's that are trying so hard to race me. Usually I would just pulled up slowly and let the Tubi rip right next to their ears to say "good morning" and put thing in perspective. Then I would ease my way home unless he has his girlfriend with him.

Hope this help.

PS: Had 996C4Cab for 4 years. Now own 996TTCAB and 996TTX50 and both lowered with Chips and Tubi's.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Calling all Porsche lovers, calling all porsche lovers!!

Thanks for the help

Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Irish996Turbo

Just wanted to ask if there are any advantages or disadvantages from a 02' to 05'?

Should I go with a TIP or a Manual (What is more reliable and do I have to be a great driver to compete with a TIP?)

Is the X50 really worth it or is it what some people say, to offset lag on the turbo? Could be way off here.

Are there must get options?

Do 19 inch wheels have an effect on handling?

Do you have anything else to add?

Thanks a bunch for your replies!!

Irish
I have not owned only driven a 2001 Turbo Porsche.I drove it at a Porsche dealer who had called mesince the buyer had backed out.

I did not feel any "turbo lag" and i was expecting at least some. The dealer tech told me they have two turbos one big and the other small to avoid turbo lag. The samller turbo spools up faster than the larger diameter turbo and it all works seamless to avoid lag. Whatever it works in my view!

I suspect the X package was there to keep the performance fresh untill the 997 turbo version debuted. I found the base one outstanding I can only imagine what the X package feels like.

lee

Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM

I understand the changes between 02 and 05 were negligable.
The tiptronic S is a 5 speed. It has a good reputation for reliability, but it is not as advanced as the one in the 997 (same for the AWD system). The 996tt is 0.7 sec slower to 60 with the tip vs. the 6 speed in the hands of an expert shifter. The 997tt tip is reportedly 0.2 sec FASTER than the 997tt 6 speed.
I have the tip, in partbecause I am a lazy driver and in part becausei think of the tt as more of a grand-tourer than a sports car and was going for that sort of feel. but sometimes regret not getting the 6spd because it is not a daily driver for me, and therefore the nuisance of shifting in traffic would not have been an issue. On the other hand, the steering wheel shifter is fun too, ina gimmicky sort of way, and works pretty well. Alas, one definitately feels more "connected" to the engine with a 6spd than with the tip, even in "manual tip mode'
Resale will be easier with the 6spd.
i would say sports seats are a must-have option (that istruly aregret).
do not bother with x50... if the car you want happens to have it, fine, but don't insist on it.
when comparing prices, age is as important as mileage, and remember to factor in new brakes and upcoming/recent big service stops. good luck

Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Hi Folks,

I have a 2001 996TT tiptronic.

For a good take on the transmissions you should have a look at the book Porsche 911 Story, The entire development history. The book gives you some good tech data on the transmisions, engines brakes, suspension etc through to the 997.

The info says the 996TT has a Daimler/Chrysler auto box [A96/50 tiptronic] with lockup torque convertor as it can take the torque of the turbo engines, whereas ZF did not have a box to handle the power. The transmission is adaptive according to the drivers style. I can vouch for that!

The 2002-2005 models essentially use the same box [A96/50 A96/51]. The 997has anA97/01 tiptronic with uprated oil pressues and slight gearing changes
There where a number of changes to the manual boxes during the period with changes to clutch linings, higher resistance steels and chage from 2 to 4 satellite gears in the diff. The changes were to handle the additional torque of the later motors.

With respect to the turbos and lag, the 996TT and 997TT have two turbos one on each bank, which I understandoperating simultaneously. To reduce/eliminate turbo lag the turbos have variable vane geometry which, under the control of the moto electronics can be keptthe turbos spinning at lower RPMs. This helps reduce lag when you are not in the "sweet zone" aka. They [996TT-997TT] do no havesmall and large turbos. Let me know if you need further info on how the turbos and electronics do this.

I drive an M3 SMG E46 and the 996TT. Whilst they are completly different in delivering the goods, the Porsche tip will smoke the M3 anywhere anytime. You can drive the tranmission manually through the tip either in auto or manual mode, in the later mode the adaptive program will revert to auto mode after about 10 seconds. If you want to drive manual all the time select the manual mode and change through the +/- controls

Happy to answer questions

Scott

Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Thanks Scott for the very interesting info. In manual mode, i find the tiptronic will down-shift almost immediately, (thank goodness), but if you upshift too early, it will delay the shift until the engine speed or speed of the car climbs enough.
One thing to watch out for though- when I wasentering town one day, I wasin auto mode and still at 5th geardespitehaving already slowed to around 35mph. Approaching a famous intersection that is very wide and knowing one must wait ages after the light turns red, i saw yellow and said, "no problem", and planted the accelerator to hustle through i.t. Ah, but no downshift from the automatic And no acceleration-yes even a 996 turbo will not do much in 5th gear at 35mph.I was so shockedthat ididn't use the tip to downshift.Big relief thatthere wasn't a camera as I plodded through the intersection a bit late. Maybe the auto had already adapted to my lazy driving style!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Johnny,

You right about the no-downshift in manual mode. Incidently I noticed today diving in and out of a tight corner it will downshift [in manual mode]... thats on the brakes before, then power out.

Scott

Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 AM

i'll have to try that