Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Newbie.Help....Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Default Newbie.Help....Please!!!

I Boughta 1987 911 a few months ago. My brake sensor came on last week so I decided to replace the pads ect. I replaced the pads, rotors all the way around and bought rebuilt calipers for the front. I put everything on and while the care was up I degreased the bottom of the engine.
I drove my beloved car and now it feels loose and shakes at speeds above 60 mph. I don't know what I could have done to make it feel like this now. Please can someone please advise me on what may have caused this. Any help would be appreciated .

Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Default RE: Newbie.Help....Please!!!

Check the torque settings for your rotors and make sure you have them on per specs. Did you clean out the grease on you wheel bearings and put in new grease? If you did not put the rotors on tight enough you will get shaking. Also make sure your lug nuts are on tight. Make sure the tire was off the ground before you initially snug the lug nut. Did you mix up the tires or did you put them back on where originally taken off of the car? If not and the tires are directional you will have problems.Finally, you may have knocked off some wheel weights and the tire is out of balance or you hit a curb or huge pothole and your car is out of alignment. Finally, make sure things are tight and connected correctly. Try to determine if the vibration is the front, back, etc. Goodluck.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:19 PM

I did not torque the rotors, they are only held on by 2 small screws. I did everything else. I will try that nd see waht happens. Do you know how much torque is need?Is there any thing else I should torque besides the rotors and lug nuts?Thank you so much I thought I may have messed up bad.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Do you have a repair manual for the car? If not I would get a Haynes, they are the best. Also the porsche dealer will help if you call the service department. The local library, auto parts store, or book store will also carry a repair manual...if you are short on funds you can just look up the information you need and leave the book. I would not sweat it. Join a local PCCA club, the people are nice and are willing to help out.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

How did you bed the brakes in, and what did you torque the wheels to?