Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Turbo pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Default Turbo pricing question

Hi,

My first post - be gentle.

This is the second forum I've joined and on the other (Lotus EliseTalk) I get frustrated by the number of people who join and then ask the same questions without searching for the answers first.
(ie How much shouldI pay for and Elise....? What is the difference between the Elise & Exige....? How much is insurance....? etc. etc.

So - I'm currently trying to find a '02-'04 X50 Turbo and hope that through lurking here before joining I have picked up the answers to most of the "newbie" questions (by the way has anyone nominated porschedoc for sainthood yet?)

However, I may have a quick decision to make andcraveyour indulgence while I ask a "newbie" question.

I have been offered an '02 coupe with only 6K miles towhich the owner added to a $148K sticker price another $50K of mods.
He claims 640BHP.

The price ($90K) is beyond the high end of my range and, of course, higher than I would expect to pay for an "ordinary" '02 X50 (even with 6K miles).
I have seen some nice looking '03 X50s with around 20K miles for $75 - $80K

Do you have any opinion how much (if anything) should be added to "normal" price for such a high level of modification?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Turbo pricing question

Yes, I have a rather strong opinion but it is based on a lot of experience: nothing.

Unless the car is a tuner car - with a set of compatible mods installed by a tuner who is basically an "aftermarket manufacturer" the mods will not get anything much in the marketplace. Tuner cars (Lingfelter Corvettes, Hennesey Vipers, RUF Porsches, AMG Mercedes) are different -- they do command a premium.

But cars modified by a local shop, even a very good shop with good "kits" and using premium parts, etc., seldom bring even ten cents on the dollar. I know. I have about $80K in just the mods into my 'vette. It would sell for around $35K if stock and might -- might -- bring $45k now.

There are many reasons why, but that is just the way the market is. Lots of reasons. You don't know if the mods are well done, compatible, etc. -- does it have brakes and suspension upgrades to match the power added, or is it just a "dyno Queen"?Was it reinforced well to handle the power addition durably? Was it abused? And don't take the guy's word for the 640 HP - owners (particularly owners selling a car) often just add up the maximum claims for all the aftermarket parts they added and claim that: I've seen "800 HP" cars that had only about 590.

Most highly modifed cars (I'd call a 640 Hp Turbo highly modified) have heavy maintenance costs, along with fuzzy service needs: pretty much you have to take them back to guys who know what and how the aftermarket parts went in, etc., and mean time between service is much much shorter, etc. I'd recommend sticking with stock.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Default RE: Turbo pricing question

Thank you.
Great answer.

From what you say - I'll need to know more about the "provenance" of the mods.
If suspect - then I should steer clear of the car altogether.
If reputably done (as I suspect) then I need to decide if the performance is a good trade off for the extra hassle/maintenance etc.
Pricewise - even if "bona fide" mods - maybe your 10% is a good guideline.

Thanks again.

Phil