Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

87 944 starts but dies after 10 seconds? Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Default 87 944 starts but dies after 10 seconds? Help

I replaced the starter solenoid in my 87 944 (non turbo). When I started the car after installing the new starter solenoid, the car started but then died after about 10 seconds. When it does run for the 10 seconds or so it idles just fine. I will add that my stereo unit is not working either (was working before new starter was put in). I think something must have grounded out to make my stereo stop working. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and in the stereo and still nothing. The car still continues to start but it then dies. If something grounded out to cause the stereo to quit working then maybe it also has messed up the fuel relay or??? Could the clifford alarm have something to do with any of this?? When I bought the car the alarm was installed in the car but unhooked I believe due to electrical problems. Any advice would be grateful!

Thanks, Jennette

Old 01-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Default RE: 87 944 starts but dies after 10 seconds? Help

Okay, can you give us some more history here? First, you obviously didn't replace the starter solenoid for no reason, were there any other problems with the car before you did this, or was it just not starting? Secondly, its next to impossible to find just a solenoid for a 944, I am assuming you replaced the whole starter, right? Did you do the work yourself, or did a shop do the work? How about the other electrical problems you were talking about... was there any flakiness with the stereo prior to this. Lastly, did you hook up the Clifford alarm at the same time?

To answer your question, if you grounded something out in the process, then yes, you could have problems. I am hoping that you pulled the ground off the battery before you started working on this, right?

Give us info, between Jeremy (namsofiT) and I, we should be able to help you out.

Regards,

Old 01-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Bump (again... *sigh*) to bury another thread that has less value than this one...

Old 01-23-2005, 02:54 PM

Hey Jennette, anything to report?

Regards,

Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I haven't been at work for 4 days. Anyway, about a month ago my car would intermittently just make a clicking sound when I would turn it over. Sometimes it would take several times before it would actually turn over and sometimes no problems at all. This went on for about 2 weeks. Then a friend of mine got underneath the car and tightened the wires that run to the starter and the one that runs between the starter and the solenoid (This was at the suggestion of my dad who was having the same type of starting problems with his Jeep and it turned out to be a short in the ground (corrosion, etc.)). After my friend tightened all the wires to the starter the car turned over everytime without problems for the next 4 to 5 days. After about the 5th day I started having the same starting problems again. Then it got to the point where the car wouldn't start at all, it would only click everytime. Then I tried push starting it and it would start but then it would die after about 7 to 10 seconds. The starter was removed and it was bench tested it. When we bypassed the solenoid, the starter would turn over everytime but when we didn't bypass the solenoid the starter was only working about everyother time (we came to the conclusion that the solenoid had a short). So with this information I called around and there didn't seem to be any question or problems in just getting the solenoid, which is what I did. The solenoid was put back on the starter and the starter was put back on the car. When I went to start the car after the starter was put back on, the car turned over and started right up and idled for about 10 seconds and then the rpm's jumped up a little and then the car died. And it continues to do this everytime the car is started. About the time I was resorting to push starting my car (or trying to anyway) my stereo went completely dead and that is also at the same time it wouldn't stay running.

I have never had any other problems with the stereo before now. Looked at all the fuses and cannot find any blown to the stereo. I bought the car with the alarm already in it but the kid told me it wasn't hooked up. Well it is hooked up but the horn isn't. I know that at least part of it is still hooked up because the toggle switch under the dash is still active. If it is switched to the 'wrong' position the car will not start at all.

For the most part the battery was unhooked during the process, but when you have other people tinkering with it, you never know. The car is being looked at by a mechanic and I he thinks it is the fuel regulator, and maybe so, but I just find it funny that my stereo quit working as well. I called a clifford alarm dealer in my town and he said he was 99% sure that if it was the alarm the car wouldn't start at all. Maybe there is a couple of different things going on at the same time...any suggestions?? Thanks!! Jennette

Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 PM

Sorry to be slow to respond, I was out on a business trip and my laptop decided to die. Anyway, I digress...

Check the grounds, especially the battery ground that mounts at the top of the bellhousing. I would bet its loose, and if so, would cause the problems you desribe. That alarm system wiring sounds a bit suspect, I would be careful about that. Most aftermarket alarm (and a LOT of the stereo) wiring I have seen in 944's is downright atrocious.

Regards,

Old 02-05-2005, 06:06 PM

bump

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post...just busy as heck. Anyway, the problem was the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The part was about 50 bucks and I changed it myself. It sits right on top of the fuel rail. Thanks for everyones input!! I have found so many useful threads from this site!