Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

Cayenne S Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Default Cayenne S Tyre Wear

Hi all

I recently met a fellow Cayenne S driver in the queue for new tyres at Micheldever Tyres Services near Basingstoke, England. We quickly realised that we were both suffering from the same problem with excessive tyre wear on the outside edges of both front tyres. We are both running 20" Cayenne SportDesign wheels with original equipment Michelin tyres. We had both independently complained to our respective Porsche centres and were told that the wheel alignment was 'within specification' and therefore there was no problem with the car. I had escalated my issue to Porsche Cars GB who told me that the same thing and refused to do anything about it.

My Cayenne has done 14,000 and is on it's 3rd set of front tyres. I have owned many performance and 4x4 vehicles in the past and have never experienced front tyre wear from new to bald in 6,000 miles. The rear tyres lasted for 13,500 miles which is acceptable.

We both believe that there is a manufacturing setup issue here and are keen to understand whether other Cayenne drivers are experiencing this ludicrous tyre wear also.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Default RE: Cayenne S Tyre Wear

Hi Everybody,

I bought a Cayeene S with 20 Inch Wheels, I had to move the Front Tyres to the Rear after 7,000 Miles the Front Tyres were almost new in terms of tread wear. The outside shoulders were very worn.

I took my car to Porsche Hatfield who suggested I had driven Badly! Checked the vehicle and said it was set up as specified by Porsche GMBH.

Speaking to the Salesmen they said that Cayennes did eat the side walls! One Customer was very irate when he needed new Tyes after 5,000 Miles!

What experience to other Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo Drivers Have?

I believe that Porsche have a Very Big Problem but currently will not admit it.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:48 AM

I can relate. I got my Cayenne with 17600 miles on it and immediately needed tires. The fronts were excessively worn on one side, as you mentioned. The rears showed some scalopping. I had the dealer align it and bought some new TOYOs (19inch). I have about 5000 miles on those tires and took it back to the dealer for a tire rotation (ft to rear), becuse they were getting noisy. Dealer said the noise is from the rear tires again starting to scallop (little mounds when you run your hand over the tire in one particular direction). The said it was an alignment issue. When I informed them that they had just aligned it about 5000 miles earlier, they said they would re-align it free of charge. Of course, I had to schedule another appointment. This appears to be an iherent problem both in Cayennes and Touaregs.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM

My mate works for VW almost exclusively working with Touaregs. The uneven tyre wear is a known fault and is now being dealt with under warranty.

I see no reason why Porsche shouldn't now do the same!