Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

New to the Porsche family - what should I know?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Default New to the Porsche family - what should I know?

Hi everyone. My wife had an 02 Boxter that I wrecked so I'm pretty new to the Porsche family. I traded an 05 Acura RL for an 06 Cayenne Base with most options. The Acura forum (acurazine.com) was very informative about issues, prices, competition and other general information. I'm hoping to get the same experience here. My vehicle has the preferred package, navigation, logbook, roof rails & cross bars, Bluetooth, rear entertainment system, Sirius radio, 18" wheels, tow hitch receiver, new brakes, new tires, new wipersand 22,000 miles. It's silver outside and black inside - was a loaner in their fleet.

So, what should I know about the 06 Cayenne base that the dealer didn't tell me?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Default RE: New to the Porsche family - what should I know?

What Bluetooth? And where is it mounted?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Hi Esoteric. The bluetooth module is actually being installed by a third party that the dealer is handling for me. I don't pick up my vehicle until Wednesday, so I'll have more information to post then. Perhaps you can answer some questions regarding the 06 Cayenne base - has anyone been experiencing issues that may be a Porsche problem? Is there anything I should be looking for? The windows have some special thing about them - has anyone experienced an issue tinting the windows? Any information you can provide is helpful.

Paul

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Welcome Paul. Had my 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo for a little over 2 years now, 31K miles. Only significant problem was some leaking from the sunroof which the dealer fixed without issue. Taken the car off road...very fun and capable...rate limiting factor are the performance tires, better for the street than dirt...but that's to be expected.
No other issues....

Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM

I should add that I have recently purchased a trailer for towing my Ford GT. The tow capacity of the Cayenne is about 7700 lbs...total weight of my set-up will approach 7000 lbs. So, I will give some follow-up on the towing capacity at some future date. See a lot of Cayennes at track events, mostly S-versions. Probably because very few midsized SUVs have the tow capacity of a Cayenne.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks cyclenirvana - it's good to know. I've always read that German cars in general, especially Porsche's, were problematic and required tons of maintenance. My wife's 02 Boxter seem to be just fine and nowhere near the maintenance I was expecting, so I just wanted to ask around.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Hi Paul:

Any update on the Bluetooth module?

I bought a mObridge for my '08 Cayenne TT and shall receive it soon. It is an iPod interface for now but I understand that there will be a Bluetooth interface upgrade in the coming future.

The PCM system is really non user friendly.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Wily B,

The Bluetooth module for my phone is made by motorola. It's voice activated, mounted on the aluminum strip behind the steering wheel and there's a microphone in the top left hand (from the driver's seat) corner of the windshield. It works well, but not as easy as the built in Blueetooth that was in my Acura RL. I tried to attach the pictures of the interface & microphone, but they are too large. I will email them directly to you if you like.

On a different topic, anyone know if you can use the navigation system without the radio playing?