Notices
New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself...

Noobe soon to be Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Default RE: Noobe soon to be Porsche owner

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

The SS454 ought to be a great thing when you are finished. I've thought about a truck lately because I would like to build up something with 1000+ RWHP for the street -- and a truck has plenty of real estate under the hood, and 4-wheel drive to put it to the ground. Who cars it if weights 4400 lbs by the time I'm done -- 1000 RWHP, or more, would mean that did not matter.

I saw where GMHP Parts has a new cast iron LSX block that is decked for more than 1/2 longer stroke - up to 480 cubic inches. I dream about a big bad Chevy truck with that block, ARP big-port heads and a Procharger pumping 15 lbs into it.

By the way, I think you will prefer the Carrera to the Cayman. Both are great cars but the Carrera is just a tad better as a civilized daily driver, and a good weekend trip car. Its worth the slight difference in price. Plus, it has 42 years of heritage, hard to ignore.
Yes, the SS will be a tire roaster for sure. I just saw one for sale with a built motor and an 871, and it had about 850 rwhp, although I will probably go with the Procharger and run it at about 10 PSI. You can't beat an 8 rib blower sticking out of the hood though. Lots of attitude and old school looks.

Let me know when you build that big block stroker. Man, when it comes to HP, you don't fool around.

BTW I am definitely leaning towards the 911, it's what made me want a Porsche in the first place. And like you said, it's been around for 42 years, so I think they must have it down by now.

Now my biggest problem is what to take to the 2007 Hot Rod Power Tour. I'll probably take the Vette though, it's the best for long trips. Took the 454SS to the 2006 Power Tour. Had a great time. Have you been to it?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:42 AM

I'm seriously considering an LS-1 (LT-1 too heavy) swap for my 944, although nothing as ambitious as what you guys are talking. I just want something with some more beans that can use the long legged Porsche gearing and suspension, without breaking the bank doing it or radically altering the handling. I'm going to muffle it down; sometimes it's nice being stealthy; it's kinda like having a sap in your back pocket; anyone who messes with you won't know what hit 'em until they're choking on heel dust...

Old 10-29-2006, 08:21 AM

It is a good conversion. I think there are kits for it -- I know it has been done. And I agree with the idea of keeping the engine fairly stock: even the barest LS-1 (345 HP) represents a doubling of the power. Weight is not that bad - about the same actually.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

It is a good conversion. I think there are kits for it -- I know it has been done. And I agree with the idea of keeping the engine fairly stock: even the barest LS-1 (345 HP) represents a doubling of the power. Weight is not that bad - about the same actually.

I don't know whether or not it would fit, but a Magnusson supercharger would be the icing on the cake.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 PM

Too much of a good thing makes for a bad thing. I'd leave the LS1 stock. A 345 HP 944? Wow.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:21 AM

My thoughts exactly. My V-8 Fiero only has 200 hp (300 ft/lbs tq) but it's hard enough to hang onto my license with that. I want the refined ride and handling of the 944, and the ease of maintenance/power of the LS-1; when I'm done, it should be a road car that will allow me to cruise (supercruise?) safely and comfortably at speeds that would make me nervous in the Fiero, because of the Fiero's short wheelbase and relatively slow steering ratio; it tends to lag behind the steering inputs a bit, which can be unnerving in a set of rapid switchbacks. I also need a car with at least a minimal back seat, as (after a space of 27 years) I now have a small daughter again.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM

Now that's what I call a sleeper. A Fiero with 300 lbs of torque.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM

I must confess to occasionally tweaking the tails of the Honda crowd...It's a stock Caddy motor (60-degree V-8 easier than 90-deg. SBC), nothing to write home about, but the aluminum V-8 w/cast iron heads and the 4T60E weighs maybe 40 lbs more than the iron V-6 and three speed auto it replaced, so the handling is mostly unaffected, since it's a mid-engine setup anyway (hauling my big booty around affects the handling more than the swap, lol). The other nice thing is it now actually gets better mileage than the V-6, lol, and runs cleaner to boot.

I also want the 944/LS-1 swap because I like driving a 5-speed car for recreation sometimes; (like rowing my own gears, thank you very much) I don't live too far from Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon). I am very much looking forward to driving the 944 there.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Vonov

I The other nice thing is it now actually gets better mileage than the V-6, lol, and runs cleaner to boot.

I agree, I'm amazed that with the performance and mileage, that some manufacturers don't use a small V8 for some of these lighter cars. Even some high end sports cars are underpowered. I don't get it.